Step-by-step advice on pathways, clubs, competitions and coaching for getting into girls cricket and women’s cricket in Gujarat.
If you’re unfamiliar with how the cricket system in India works, you might be confused about why the information on these pages is different for Gujarat, Saurashtra and Baroda. After all, isn’t it all one state?
Well, it’s just one of the oddities of the system that Gujarat state has three separate associations, each of them managing cricket in different parts: Baroda, Gujarat and Saurashtra cricket associations.
Depending on where you live, you will be part of one of these. You can check if you belong to Baroda Cricket Association or Saurashtra Cricket Association on those pages, but, for your reference, here are the regions that come under Gujarat Cricket Association: Ahmedabad, Anand, Banaskantha, Bharuch, Bulsar, Gandhinagar, Kheda, Panchmahal, Surat, Daman.
Where to start
Start by playing any sport at your school level. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get into cricket right away. Playing other sports too is good for you and will help your cricket in the future.
Then, once you get serious about cricket, join a private academy. The big centres for women’s cricket that come under the Gujarat Association are Ahmedabad and Surat. But girls also go elsewhere in Gujarat, like Baroda, to gain cricket experience.
You can also reach out to the district cricket association closest to you. Some of them will hold camps, especially during the summer. The contact details are available on the Gujarat association website.
How to get selected to the Gujarat women’s team
Selection to these teams is as follows: Trials → Inter-district → Probables camp → State team
The pandemic has affected this and the district matches are irregular, but when they happen, here’s how it works:
- The district association invites interested girls to take part in ‘open trials’ on a particular day. This means that any girl can go to the venue, register and show the selectors who are watching what she can do in the nets. It’s like an audition.
- Keep an eye out in newspapers for information on the dates when this happens. If you go to a private academy, your coach will keep you informed as well.
- The best players from the trial are chosen to form a district team.
- The districts play an inter-district competition (usually 50-over). All the districts may not take part in this.
- The top players are named in the state ‘probables’, and are part of a camp. From there, the final state team is chosen.
If the inter-district competition doesn’t take place, the trials are held directly at the state level.
Some districts such as Ahmedabad hold selection matches instead of just trials before making a district team. There are usually 2-3 teams that feature.
The Gujarat women’s team too get to use the world-class facilities at Motera stadium. But a new indoor facility has been set up at Gujarat College in the Ahmedabad city limits itself to help the junior men and the women.
Contact Gujarat Cricket Association on email@example.com or 079-35201090 /91
College cricket for girls in Gujarat
There is no inter-college tournament organised by GCA, but Gujarat University features in the inter-varsity tournament. Colleges that have had teams in recent years are:
- Maninagar Science
- Umiya College
- Khyati Institute
- Shah NH Commerce College
Notable academies for girls cricket in Gujarat
- Mehsana Cricket academy, Gujarat (free coaching to girls in need, especially from rural areas)
- World Sports Club, Ahmedabad
If you have information on schools, colleges or academies that support girls cricket in Gujarat, contact us and we’ll add it to this page!