Step-by-step advice on pathways, clubs, competitions and coaching for getting into girls cricket and women’s cricket in Puducherry.
Puducherry has had its own team only since 2018. Despite its small size, it has big ambitions for girls cricket.
It is investing in facilities and a structure for girls and women, with a priority on giving equal treatment to girls and boys. For instance, if there is a clash in schedule, the Cricket Association of Pondicherry (CAP) wants to ensure that boys don’t get priority over girls for grounds etc.
Here is how a girl can take up cricket in Pondicherry.
Where to start
A girl who is interested in cricket may start in any of the following ways:
- Join one of the eight academies associated with CAP
- Attend a summer camp organised by CAP. Details of camps are available on the CAP Facebook page.
You will need to register yourself with the association if you want to represent Puducherry or play matches organised by CAP. Registrations are usually open around the summer.
Registration may be done online based on which area you are from.
How to get selected for the Puducherry women’s team
The association aims to have one-day and T20 leagues for all three age-group state teams. However, this hasn’t fully yet happened because of the pandemic.
The pathway for selection to the state team is as follows:
District-level camps/trials → Inter-district matches → Probables camp → Selection matches → State team
- Teams are selected from all the four districts to play the ‘inter-girls’ competition.
- These matches may be 20-over or 30-over or 50-over. The junior girls (U16, U19) generally play 30-over matches.
- The top players (around 25) are named as probables and called for a state camp.
- These players feature in selection matches. Once the state team is more or less formed, they play matches with the boys as well.
Performances in the inter-collegiate tournament (see below) count as well.
The state teams play matches with Under-16 boys for practice.
CAP Siechem campus at Thuthipet is the main centre for cricket run by the association. This campus has eight grounds. There are indoor facilities here, and residential facilities are being developed on the campus.
Contact CAP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0413-2671070
School cricket for girls in Puducherry
Schools cricket for girls is not developed in Pondicherry.
College cricket for girls in Puducherry
CAP organises an intra-college tournament. For about a week, before the tournament, participants are given some training and a round-robin competition held. Colleges that have recently taken part are:
- Saradha Gangadharan College, Pondicherry Women,
- Bharathidasan Government College, Pondicherry Women,
- Pope John Paul II College of Education Women,
- Idhaya College, Kumbakonam Women,
- Kasturba College, Villiyanur Women
Notable academies for girls
These eight academies are associated with CAP for the girls cricket programme, with similar coaching methodologies used.
- Wilma Cricket Academy
- Neyam Cricket Academy
- Arul Cricket Academy
- Gilbert Cricket Academy
- Subu’s Cricket Academy
- Smashers Cricket Academy
- Cresent Cricket Academy
- Jaguar Cricket Academy
Financial aid & scholarships
CAP hasn’t yet finalised what support will be available at the Siachem campus once it is fully up and running. We’ll update this space when we have more information!
Some of the academies mentioned above offer discounts for girls.
If you have information on schools, colleges or academies that support girls cricket in Puducherry, contact us and we’ll add it to this page!